This is now a playlist, but I can easily change the order if needs be. I will upload PDFs on the real service only, as this takes a bit of time. Everything below here is what will appear:
There is a joint Churches Together and Civic service planned for Sunday 10th May to commemorate the 75th anniversary of Victory in Europe Day. This pre-recorded message with participants from the Churches, Town Council and British Legion, will begin at 10.30am, but will be available to view throughout the day.
A Service of Thanksgiving to mark the 75th anniversary of Victory in Europe Day – Sunday 10 May 2020
The Armed Forces Charity, SSAFA, is the official VE Day 75 charity. Please see below details of how you can make a donation online or over the phone.
Order of Service:
- Opening Reflection: (Revd Dallas Ayling, Rector of Dawlish)
- Opening Prayer: (Revd John Burgess, representing The Strand Church)
- Opening Hymn: Praise, my soul, the King of Heaven
- First Scripture Reading: (Revd Catherine Wagstaff, Dawlish Methodist Church) Isaiah 58:6-12 (NIV)
- VE Day 75 Poem: Unmentioned in Despatches (Councillor Val Mawhood, Deputy Mayor of Dawlish)
- Reflective Hymn: All people that on earth do dwell
- Second Scripture Reading: (Revd Tim Collins, Curate, St Gregory’s Parish Church) Romans 8: 31–39 (NIV)
- Prayers: (Father Mark Skelton, Priest, St Agatha’s RC Church)
- Tribute to the Millions: (Councillor Alison Foden, Mayor of Dawlish)
- Message: (Dr Mark Jones, Church Leader, Dawlish Christian Fellowship)
- Last Post, Two-Minute Silence and Rouse: (Recorded by ‘Bert the Bugler’)
- The Act of Rededication: (Alec Fewings, British Legion Chairman and Cdt Ollie Hill 2401 (Dawlish) Squadron)
- Closing hymn: Abide with me
- Closing Blessing: (Revd Dallas Ayling, Rector of Dawlish)
- The National Anthem
- A Cry for Peace Around the World: (Stephen Cunliffe, Town Crier)
- ‘The UK Blessing’
- Recollections of VE Day 1945 by local people
- VE Day 75 Resources for Children
- Historical note
- Historical reading
- How to make an offering to SSAFA
To view the service, please click on the playlist below. Each video part will play automatically, one after the other.
VE Day 75 Resources for Children PDF (GOT)
Historical note – pdf download (GOT)
Historical reading – pdf download (GOT)
Make a Donation?
As part of a church service, we would normally have a collection. Would you consider making a donation to SSAFA, the Armed Forces charity instead?
SSAFA are the chosen charity for VE Day 75. Please give generously by visiting donate.ssafa.org.uk or phoning 020 7463 9225. During WW II 20,000 SSAFA volunteers provided welfare support, nursing care at home and on the frontline around the world. If you would like to learn more about SSAFA’s role in WW II, and hear stories of the wartime generation please visit www.ssafa.org.uk/veday75 where you will also find further ideas about how to mark the 75th anniversary of VE Day whilst staying at home.
Need prayer section (as already on “actual service”)
Covid-19 community support section (as already on “actual service”)
link to CTDD FB page