There is a joint Churches Together and Civic service planned for Sunday 10th May to commemorate the 75th anniversary of Victory in Europe Day. This pre-recorded message with participants from the Churches, Town Council and British Legion, will begin at 10.30am, but will be available to view throughout the day.
A Service of Thanksgiving to mark the 75th anniversary of Victory in Europe Day – Sunday 10 May 2020
The Armed Forces Charity, SSAFA, is the official VE Day 75 charity. Please see below details of how you can make a donation online or over the phone.
Order of Service:
- Opening Reflection: (Revd Dallas Ayling, Rector of Dawlish)
- Opening Prayer: (Revd John Burgess, representing The Strand Church)
- Opening Hymn: Praise, my soul, the King of Heaven
- First Scripture Reading: (Revd Catherine Wagstaff, Dawlish Methodist Church) Isaiah 58:6-12 (NIV)
- VE Day 75 Poem: Unmentioned in Despatches (Councillor Val Mawhood, Deputy Mayor of Dawlish)
- Reflective Hymn: All people that on earth do dwell
- Second Scripture Reading: (Revd Tim Collins, Curate, St Gregory’s Parish Church) Romans 8: 31–39 (NIV)
- Prayers: (Father Mark Skelton, Priest, St Agatha’s RC Church)
- Tribute to the Millions: (Councillor Alison Foden, Mayor of Dawlish)
- Message: (Dr Mark Jones, Church Leader, Dawlish Christian Fellowship)
- Last Post, Two-Minute Silence and Rouse: (Recorded by ‘Bert the Bugler’)
- The Act of Rededication: (Alec Fewings, British Legion Chairman and Cdt Ollie Hill 2401 (Dawlish) Squadron)
- Closing hymn: Abide with me
- Closing Blessing: (Revd Dallas Ayling, Rector of Dawlish)
- The National Anthem
- A Cry for Peace Around the World: (Stephen Cunliffe, Town Crier)
- ‘The UK Blessing’
- Recollections of VE Day 1945 by local people
- VE Day 75 Resources for Children
- Historical note
- Historical reading
- How to make an offering to SSAFA
- Link to book
To view the service, please click on the playlist below. Each video part will play automatically, one after the other.
VE Day 75 Resources for Children (Download PDF below)
Historical note (Download PDF below)
Historical reading (Download PDF below)
Make a Donation?
As part of a church service, we would often have a collection. Would you consider making a donation to SSAFA, the Armed Forces charity instead?
SSAFA are the chosen charity for VE Day 75. Please give generously by visiting donate.ssafa.org.uk or phoning 020 7463 9225. During WW II 20,000 SSAFA volunteers provided welfare support, nursing care at home and on the frontline around the world. If you would like to learn more about SSAFA’s role in WW II, and hear stories of the wartime generation please visit www.ssafa.org.uk/veday75 where you will also find further ideas about how to mark the 75th anniversary of VE Day whilst staying at home.
Link to book:
Further reading based on today’s message: What If Jesus Had Never Been Born?: The Positive Impact of Christianity in History
“Praying for Dawlish” is a Facebook page that has been set up for you to send in your prayer requests, whether you currently have a faith in God or not.
Covid-19 community support
The Dawlish Town Council has been working with various community organisations to produce a leaflet. It includes a support network of contact information to help local people during the current COVID-19 pandemic. It has been distributed across Dawlish, although there may be some properties that have been missed. All information is available by visiting the new website: www.helpingdawlish.co.uk. There is an opportunity to support this community effort. There’s a phone number to offer to volunteer. You can also give financially through the Helping Dawlish website.
Follow CTDD on Facebook